Burma Democratic Concern has the firm determination to carry on doing until the democracy restore in Burma.

Friday 15 May 2009

Burma: Release of Aung San Suu Kyi and Other Political Prisoners



QUESTION: Switch to Burma? Do you have anything more to say than just that you’re troubled by the apparent charges against Aung San Suu Kyi?
MR. KELLY: Well, you know, I think I am ready to say something more than just that we’re troubled. I think that our bottom line is that she shouldn’t be under house arrest, she shouldn’t be – and even less so in prison. Our bottom line is she should be released immediately. So I’ll say that. And then Secretary Clinton, in a couple hours, as I said before, will be addressing – will have a press availability, and she’ll have more to say about it.
QUESTION: Can you tell us if there have been any contacts with the Burmese Government about this?
MR. KELLY: I do know that the Embassy in Rangoon has had contacts with the government. The initial response, of course, was to seek confirmation of the reports that we saw and also to – just to get further information on the charges. And of course, we have been constantly calling for – both publicly and privately in diplomatic channels, for the release of Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi and the other political prisoners. I understand there’s more than 2,100 political prisoners.
QUESTION: And can you say that the Embassy indeed repeated that in their contacts, other than just seeking --
MR. KELLY: I feel very confident in saying that they said something almost exactly like that.
QUESTION: Ian, do you expect that the Secretary will – I mean, that she will – unprovoked, will talk about Aung San Suu Kyi, considering the fact that she’s meeting with the Malaysian foreign minister and, you know, Malaysia plays a big part in ASEAN?
MR. KELLY: Yeah, I feel very confident that at the top of her press availability she will have some comments about this.
QUESTION: And can you say what – maybe not because the meeting hasn’t happened yet, but what you – what it is you’re looking for ASEAN to do in this case?
MR. KELLY: Well, I think in this case, of course, this has been a real concern of us for many years, and we’ve used both bilateral channels and we’ve used a number of multilateral channels. I’m not prepared to say exactly what we would ask ASEAN to do, though.
Sylvie.
QUESTION: I understand you had consular access to the guy who went into her house, John Yettaw. Can you tell us a little bit about him? And, apparently, it’s not the first time it happens. Can you confirm that?
MR. KELLY: You know, really, I think all I can confirm, because this is a private American citizen, is that he had a hearing at the prison special court. It’s the – fortunately or unfortunately named – Insein Prison in Rangoon. And this was related to his reported entry into the residence of Aung San Suu Kyi. And the Burmese authorities did grant an Embassy consular officer access to the courtroom to observe his hearing. And that’s what I’ve got.
QUESTION: And that was when? When was that hearing?
MR. KELLY: That was today.
QUESTION: Did they get to speak to him, or they were allowed out into the courtroom to observe the hearing?
MR. KELLY: I don’t know if they were able to speak to him or not. I know they were allowed into the hearing.
QUESTION: Can you tell us about the hearing and whether he was charged or anything about the proceeding?
MR. KELLY: No, I don’t have details of that, I’m afraid.
QUESTION: And is the first time this incident – these kind of things happens? Is it the first time this guy goes to Burma?
MR. KELLY: You know, I don’t – I don’t have any information on that. Sorry.
QUESTION: Has he had any problems with the law conducting protests, even in the United States? Has he done any stunt that got him into problems?
MR. KELLY: Mr. Yettaw? No, I don’t have any information on that.
QUESTION: Does he have any relation to the U.S. Government?
MR. KELLY: Not that I’m aware of.

No comments: